Maash k dahi baray / Dahi bhalle
Maash ki daal k dahi baray or dahi bhalle is mouthwatering snack in which urad daal fritters are soaked into spiced up yogurt. It’s relished by people, all over India because the bhallas are just so soft that they melt in your mouth besides giving a burst of flavours.
These dahi baray’s can be either tempered south indian style with mustard seeds and curry leaves or can just be topped with some chat masala and fresh greens as in north india.
Maash k dahi baray are very healthy snack rich in proteins and calcium.
It’s a best option for people who are sensitive to besan k dahi baray , as these maash bhalla’s do not form gases in stomach while digesting like besan does.
Vada or urad daal fritters can also be soaked in the curd for making this dish.
This can be served as a tea time snack or as iftari during ramadan.
The recipe involves 3 steps: making maash fritters, making the spiced yogurt and tempering.
|Prep Time||4 hours 45 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 3/4 cup urad daal/white lentil (washed and soaked for 4 hours)
- 2 inch fresh ginger (peeled and diced)
- 2 medium sized Fresh green chillies (whole)
- 4-5 tablespoon water (for grinding the daal)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (as per taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda / Sodium Bicarbonate
- 350 ml oil (for frying the fritters)
- 225 ml Curd / Yogurt (sour or fresh)
- 275 ml water (for curd slurry)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 fistful Fresh Coriander Leaves / Cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1/2 fistful Fresh Mint Leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 4 medium Dry Red Chillies
- 1 fistful Curry Leaves
- 3 tablespoon oil
For urad daal fritters
For spiced yogurt
- North indian style dahi bhalle are not tempered, instead a little sugar is added to yogurt and only chat masala is sprinkled over the yogurt dipped bhallas.
- If fritters observe all the water from the yogurt then the consistency can be adjusted by adding little water before serving. If you are doing so then donot use spoon to mix the bhallas, instead just shake bowl or vessels a little. This prevents the bhallas from breaking down.
- Mash k vada or vada can also be used as fritters for this white lentil dahi baray.