Tandoori chicken is an aromatic flavorful chicken roasted in a bell-shaped clay oven called tandoor. Though tandoori chicken is originated in the Indian subcontinent, it has gained popularity in many other parts of the world. People devour it as a starter or main dish. The spicy roasted chicken with its tenderly cooked meat makes tandoori chicken irresistible to eat.
Tandoori chicken is rich in proteins and low in fat. Though traditionally it is made in a tandoor, here is a quick recipe of tandoori chicken in air fryer which tastes no less than the one roasted in tandoor.
Team up the tandoori chicken with onion coleslaw or onion salad, mint chutney or garlic mayonnaise and any flatbread of your choices like onion paratha, butter naan or rumali roti. Tandoori chicken also goes well with plain rice and khatti daal for a full course meal.
Grilled Chicken in airfryer / Tandoori Chicken in airfryer
Wash and drain the chicken thoroughly. Make incisions on larger pieces for thorough marination.
Marinate the chicken with ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, tandoori chicken masala, curd, salt, lemon juice. Do not add oil at this stage. Keep this aside for a minimum of 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes add oil and mix well. Keep this aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
Now grill the chicken in the air fryer at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
That's it. Tandoori chicken is ready to be served.
- Adding red food colour is optional.
- Chicken thighs, boneless breast pieces or mixed chicken pieces or whole chicken, any kind of chicken pieces of your choice, can be used to make tandoori chicken.
- I have used Philips air fryer. The time taken to cook may vary depending on your air fryer. For this, you can check at regular intervals of time, maybe around every 7 minutes, to know how much time your air fryer takes to grill the chicken.
- You can also marinate the chicken overnight or for a quick-cooking marinated chicken can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 7 days to be used as required.
- The same recipe can be used to make tandoori chicken on pan, girdle or Tawa. Just make sure to close the lid and cook for 10 minutes for thorough cooking of meat. cook until both sides are well done.