Batter for Dosa, Idli and Uttapam
Dosa, Idli and uttapam are famous south Indian delicacies which are served as breakfast, lunch, snack or sometimes even dinner. These dishes can be made from the same batter, yet they taste quite different because of the variation in the cooking procedures. Here’s is a perfect recipe to make dosa batter or idli batter or uttapam batter.
Just make sure you keep in mind the exact ratio of rice and urad dal; that is 2:1, and that’s it you can make a perfect batter with few additional ingredients available in your kitchen.
For dosa recipe click here Dosa
For uttapam recipe click here Uttapam
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Passive Time||8-12 hours|
- 2 cups rice (any variety of rice will do)
- 1 cup urad daal/black gram (de-husked split or whole)
- 2 pinch methi seeds
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Don't add excess water while grinding. You can add water later after fermentation according to the need, based on the dish you are going to make.
- I recommend soaking for 8 hours and 12 hours of fermentation, but if you are in a hurry then 6 hours soaking and 8 hours fermentation will also do.
- If you do not have time for fermentation then add a cup of curd to the batter along with a half teaspoon of baking soda for making instant dosa or idli or uttapam.